Title: Do I Look Fat?
1. Ross : There it is.
2. Rachael : Oh, that’s what you are talking about.
3. Ross & Rachael : Hi
4. Chandler : Do I look fat?
5. Ross & Rachel: No.
6. Chandler: Okay I accept that. When Janice asked me and I said ‘no’, she took that to mean that I was calling her a cow.
7. Rachel : Okay, walk us through it, honey. Walk us through it.
8. Chandler : Okay, well, Janice said "Hi. Do I look fat today?" and I looked at her...
9. Ross : Whoa. Whoa. You looked at her? You never look. You just answer. It’s like a reflex. "Do I look fat?" "No." "Is she prettier than I am?" "No." "Does size matter?"
10. Rachel : "No."
11. Ross : And it works both ways.
12. Chandler : Okay. So you both just know this stuff?
13. Rachel : You know, after about thirty or forty fights, you kinda catch on.
14. Ross : Okay, for instance, let’s say Janice is coming back from a trip. And she gives you two options. Option number one: she’ll take a cab home from the airport, or option number two: you can meet her at baggage claim. What do you do?
15. Chandler : That’s easy. Baggage claim.
16. Ross : Ahhhh! Wrong. Now you’re single. It’s actually secret option number three: you meet her at the gate. That way, she knows you love her.
17. Chandler : Okay, this is good. This is good. Alright, listen, I have one. Janice likes to cuddle at night, which I am all for. But when you wanna go to sleep, you want some space. So, uh, how can I tell her that without, you know, accidentally calling her fat or something?
18. Rachel : Sorry, honey, we can’t help you there. We’re cuddly sleepers. Okay, I’m late for work. Are you guys gonna come down?
19. Ross : Uh, yeah. I’m right behind ya.
20. Rachel : Okay. Good luck Chandler.
21. Chandler : Thank you, Rachel.
22. Ross : Goodbye, sweetie.
23. Ross : Okay, the sleeping thing. Very tricky business, but there is something you can do.
24. Chandler : I thought you guys were cuddly sleepers.
25. Ross : No! No. Not cuddly. Not me, just her. I’m like you. I need the room. Okay, come here. Okay. You’re in bed.
26. Chandler : Yeah.
27. Ross : I’m gonna use the cushion.
28. Chandler : Yeah.
29. Ross : Okay, you’re in bed. She’s over on your side, cuddling. Now you wait for her to drift off, and then you hug her, and roll her over to her side of the bed. And then, you roll away. Hug for her. Roll for you.
30. Chandler : Okay, the old hug-and-roll.
31. Ross : Yep.
32. Chandler : Okay, one question. You’re pretending the pillow is a girl, right?
ESL Topic: Dating
File Title: Do I Look Fat
Prepared by: SSEcoach (Robbie) File Code: V1
Topic Speaking: Dating
1. What are some things couples fight about?
2. Who do you ask if you need relationship advice?
3. Is it okay to tell white lies to your partner?
4. When do most people in your country begin dating?
5. What’s the ideal type of person you would like to date?
6. Do you think knowing your partners blood type is important?
7. Is it important that your family likes your partner?
8. Is it important that your friends like your partner?
9. If you could go on a date with anyone in the world, who would it be?
10. What are popular areas/places to go on a date in your hometown?
walk us through it
1. How did Chandler respond to the woman’s question ‘Do I look fat?’ instead of answering right away?
-The man looked at the woman instead of answering right away.
2. In Line 12, what does Chandler mean when he says, “So, you guys just know this stuff.”?
-Chandler is surprised that Ross and Rachel know each other well, and know what to say and not to say to each other to keep each other happy.
3. What option did the Chandler choose to deal with the example - Janice is coming back from a trip?
-Chandler chose to meet Janice at the baggage claim when she came back from a trip.
4. What was the secret option number three?
-The secret option number three was meeting her at the gate.
5. Does Chandler love to cuddle with Janice?
-Yes. Chandler loves to cuddle with Janice, because the he said, cuddling is what he is all for.
6. What does Chandler want, when he goes to bed?
-The Chandler wants some space, when he goes to bed. He doesn’t want to cuddle.
7. What term does the Rachael use to explain her and Ross’s satisfaction towards cuddling at night?
-Rachael used the term ‘cuddly sleepers’ to explain their satisfaction towards cuddling at night.
8. Why did the Rachael leave?
-The Rachael left because she is late for work.
9A. According to the Ross’s method, after the woman falls asleep, what is the first step to end the cuddling?
-According to Ross’s method, after the woman falls asleep, the first step is to hug her.
9B. What is the second step?
-The second step is to roll her over to her side of the bed.
9C. What is the last step?
-The last step is to roll away from her.