1. Erica: Dear lord! Looks like a twilight zone world where everyone is you.
2. Beverly: Just zip it and go put on your workout gear.
3. Erica: This is my workout gear.
4. Beverly: That’s what you’re gonna wear to get into the group? Are you insane?
5. Erica: Some might say what you’re wearing is insane.
6. Beverly: For your information, spandex wicks away sweat while enhancing muscle tone and skeletal girth. Watch and learn.
7. Reynaldo: You, ladies, ready to sweat?!
8. Everyone: Yeah!!!
9. Beverly: Reynaldo is an ex-marine. I told him not to go easy on us.
10. Erica: Okay, you didn’t tell me...
11. Beverly: Sorry! A bet’s a bet! That’s a deal that can’t be broken!
12. Adam: My sister was starting to realize that she might have gotten in over her head. For the next hour, my mom lunged, squatted, and grooved with everything she had. And Eric…eh, she was fine.
13. Reynaldo: And cool down.
14. Erica: Woo! I almost broke a sweat there!
15. Beverly: You?
16. Erica: I won! Now I don’t have to spend time cooking with you all day! It’s a thanksgiving miracle!
17. Beverly: But it’s tradition.
18. Erica: Hmm. Sorry. A bet’s a bet. That’s a deal that can’t be broken.
break a sweat
1. What is Erica’s initial reaction when she sees the people around her mom at the gym?
She is alarmed that they are all dressed in a similar manner to her mom.
2. How does Beverly react when Erica says that she is already wearing her workout clothes?
She is unimpressed by her outfit and disparages her.
3. How does Erica respond to her mother’s comments about her outfit?
She says she believes her mother is, in fact, dressed more ridiculously than herself.
4. What does Beverly say about the instructor Reynaldo?
She says that he is an ex-marine and that she told her not to go easy of them.
5. Upon hearing what Beverly has to say about the instructor, how does Erica initially react?
She is pretty startled by the possibility that she might lose.
6. Who ends up winning the “bet”?
Erica ends up winning the bet pretty easily after than hour of exercise.
7. What does Beverly say in response to her defeat?
Beverly tries to appeal to her daughter to lay off the bet and do what she asked her to do in the first place in the spirit of family tradition.
8. What can we infer was the bet that Eric and her Mom had made?
Erica and her Mom made a bet that if Erica couldn’t make it through her Moms workout class, then Erica would have to help her Mom cook Thanksgiving dinner.
ESL Topic: Challenges
File Title: Jazzercise
File Code: V45
Topic Speaking: Challenges
1. Have you ever bribed someone?
2. What is something parents want help with from their children, but their children usually resist helping?
3. What holiday in your country requires the most preparation?
4. Did you used to compete against another family member, for example, when playing sports, video games, etc.?
5. What is something a parent can do to motivate their children to do their chores?
6. Did your parents used to reward or punish you over your school grades?
7. Have you ever taken an exercise class?
8. Have you ever made a bet with a family member or friend?
9. What are some internet challenges you have heard about? (Ex: ice bucket challenge; Tide Pod challenge)
10. Would you rather exercise or do housework?