Title: Ross's Sarcastic Story
1. Ross: Oh-oh, wait, my mother is gonna be here any minute. And she has the keys.
2. Rachel: Alright, I can’t, I can’t wait that long. You have to do something—knock that door down!
3. Ross: I would, but I bruise like a peach. Besides, y…you know, everything is gonna be fine. The baby’s sleeping.
4. Rachel: What if she jumped out the bassinet?
5. Ross: Can’t hold her own head up, but yeah jumped.
6. Rachel: Oh my god, I left the water running.
7. Ross: Rach, you did not leave the water running. Please, just pull yourself together, okay?
8. Rachel: Ah, did I leave the stove on?
9. Ross: You never cooked since 1996.
10. Rachel: Is the window open? Because if there’s a window open, a bird could fly in there.
11. Ross: Oh my god, you know what, yeah, I think you’re right. I think … listen, listen! A pigeon, a pigeon. No, no wait, no-no, an eagle flew in. Landed on the stove and caught fire. The baby, seeing this, jumps across the apartment to the mighty bird’s aid. The eagle, however, misconstrues as an act of aggression and grabs the baby with its talons. Meanwhile the faucet fills the apartment with water. Baby and bird still ablaze are locked in a death grip, swirling around the whirl pool, that fills the apartment.
12. Rachel: Boy, are you gonna be sorry if that’s true.
1. Why can’t Ross and Rachel enter their house?
They locked themselves out and forgot the keys.
2. Who did they leave inside the house?
They left their baby inside the house.
3. Who will arrive shortly with the keys?
4. Why doesn’t Ross want to knock down the door?
He doesn’t want to knock down the door because he bruises easily.
5. What does Rachel fear first?
Rachel fears that the baby will jump out of the bassinet.
6. What are the two things Rachel thinks she left on?
Rachel thinks she left on the water and the stove.
7. Does Rachel cook?
Rachel hasn’t cooked since 1996.
8. What does Rachel think she left open?
Rachel thinks she left the window open.
9. What is Rachel scared of getting in through the window?
Rachel is scared that a bird will fly through the open window.
Topic Speaking: Worrying
1. Are you usually good at remembering things or forgetful?
2. What things are you most apt to forget (keys, cell phone, dates, appointments)?
3. Are there things that you will never forget?
4. Would you like to be able to remember everything perfectly? Why?
5. Have you ever forgotten something really important?
6. Is there something you wish you could remember that you can’t?
7. Is there a memory you wish you could forget?
8. Is there a memory you will never forget?
9. Has someone you known ever forgotten something really important?
10. Do you have experience with someone older who is beginning to forget things?
ESL Topic: Worrying
File Title: Ross's Sarcastic Story
File Code: V46