Title: Joey Learning English
1.Michael: Alright. Okay, great. I just gotta go pick up my books. I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere.
2.Joey: No problem. I'll be right here.
3.Mrs. Lafferty: Nice to see you again, Maria.
4.Maria: Hello, Mrs. Lafferty.
5.Mrs Lafferty: Welcome. What is your name?
6.Joey: Uh, I'm Joey.
7.Mrs. Lafferty: Joey, you have a wonderful accent.
8.Joey: Thank you.
9.Mrs Lafferty: Joey, this is an 'English As a Second Language' class for beginners. Are you sure you're in the right place?
10.Joey: Oh, I'm in the right place.
11.Mrs Lafferty: Let's get started. I hope everyone practiced counting to ten over the weekend.
12.Mrs Lafferty: Great. Let's do it together.
13.All: One... two... three... four... five... six... seven... eight... nine... ten.
14.Boris: Eleven, twelve!
15.Mrs Lafferty: Very good, Boris! Somebody's gonna get a gold star.
16.Boris: Thank you, thank you.
17.Joey: Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen!
18.Joey: "School!" Renata! “They go to school!”
19.Mrs Lafferty: Okay, Joey, why don't you pick it up where Renata left off? Now this is a hard part, so take your time.
20.Joey: Oh, boy, yeah, this looks tough. "The bell rang. The students all went to the auditorium with their teacher." Boom! That's right, Boris. You heard it- Auditorium! Pff.
21.Maria: I am so lucky to be with the smartest boy in class. Some words are so.. tug. (Trying to say "tough")
22.Joey: Tug? Oh, remember, I told you sometimes a "gh' sounds like an "f." Tough. Like, rough, or laugh.
23.Maria: Oh, Joey, make love to me toni-F-t. (Tonight.)
24.Joey: That is good English.
25.Mrs Lafferty: OK, I'd like everybody to take out their homework on the subjunctive tense.
26.Maria: Joey, you didn't do it?
27.Joey: I got it.
28.Mrs Lafferty: If the present form of the verb "to be" is "I am," the subjunctive tense is "If I..." Joey.
29.Joey: “If I was.”
30.Mrs Lafferty: Oh, I'm sorry, that's not correct.
31.Boris: It's, uh, “If I were.”
32.Mrs Lafferty: Very good, Boris.
33.Renata: Joey are stupid.
34.Joey: Joey is stupid, Renata!
I got it
Topic Speaking: Learning English
1. Do you think English is a difficult language to learn?
2. Have you ever spoken English on the phone?
3. What is your favorite way to practice your English?
4. What is the most difficult thing about English?
5. Why are you learning English?
6. How do you use the Internet to learn English?
7. How can learning English help your career?
8. Which country is the best place to study English?
9. Do you go to an academy to study English?
10. What is the best way to improve vocabulary, reading, listening, writing, speaking, pronunciation?
over the weekend
1. Where does this video take place?
-The video takes place in a school or academy.
2. Why did Joey follow the girl into the classroom?
-Joey followed the girl into the classroom because he thought she was very pretty.
3. What classroom did Joey enter?
-Joey entered an ‘English as a Second Language’ classroom.
4. Why did the teacher compliment Joey?
-The teacher complimented Joey on his wonderful English accent.
5. Why did Boris count to 12?
-Boris counted to 12 to impress Maria.
6. Why did Joey count to 15?
-Joey counted to 15 to impress Maria by showing her he is better at English than Boris.
7. What does Maria find is an attractive quality in a man?
-Maria finds a man that is good at English attractive.
8. At the end of the video, why does Maria stop showing interest Joey and start showing interest in Boris?
-Maria switches interest from Joey to Boris because Joey answered the teachers question incorrectly and Boris answered in correctly.
9. Why did Joey correct Renata’s sentence?
-Joey corrected Renata’s sentence because her sentence was grammatically incorrect.
ESL Topic: Learning English
File Title: Joey Learning English
Prepared by: SSEcoach (Robbie) File Code: V5