1. Where did this episode take place? (line 1-20)
-The conversation took place at a bath store.
2. Why did Howard and Raj bring Sheldon to the bath store? (line 1-6)
-Howard and Raj brought Sheldon to the bath store because they have lotions, bath oils and soap which women like.
3. Why did Sheldon refuse Howard’s suggestion to build Penny a bear? (line 1-6)
-Sheldon refused Howard’s suggestion to build Penny a bear because he thinks bears are terrifying.
4. Why did Howard's line presuppose that Penny is tense? (line 6-7)
-Howard’s line presupposes that Penny is tense because he said that bath stuff promotes relaxation.
5. What was the conundrum that Sheldon experienced?
-The conundrum that Sheldon experienced was which size of basket he should buy for Penny.
6. Why did Sheldon refuse to buy the basket Howard picked for him? (line 11-14)
-Sheldon refuse to buy the basket Howard picked for him because he thought there was insufficient data to determine if that basket was the best choice.
7. What did Sheldon ask the woman working in the store to infer? (line 14-20)
-Sheldon asked the woman working in the store to infer the hypothetical relationship that exists between them when he gives her the basket.
8. How did the woman respond? (line 14-20)
-The woman respond that she does not understand what he is saying and that he is making her uncomfortable.
ESL Topic: Shopping
File Title: Sheldon Buys a Gift Basket
Prepared by: SSEcoach (Robbie) File Code: V8.2
Topic Speaking: Shopping
1. Where is the best place to shop in your country?
2. Have you ever shopped in another country?
3. Have you ever been to a night market?
4. Have you ever worked in a shop or store?
5. Do you prefer to shop online or at a brick&mortar store?
6. Have you ever bought fake (counterfeit) products?
7. Do you enjoy shopping for other people?
8. How often do you go shopping?
9. What are the pros/cons of shopping at a traditional market and a modern market?
10. What are the differences between shop worker etiquette in your country compared to other countries?
Title: Sheldon Buys a Gift Basket
1. Sheldon: Did you forget your key? I don’t see anything in here a woman would want.
2. Howard: You’re kidding. You’ve got lotions and bath oils and soaps, that’s the estrogen hat trick.
3. Sheldon: What it is, is a cacophonous assault of eucalyptus, bayberry, cinnamon and vanilla. It’s as if my head were trapped in the pajamas of a sultan.
4. Raj: Sheldon, if you don’t like this stuff, let’s just go next door and build her a bear.
5. Sheldon: I told you before, bears are terrifying.
6. Howard: Come on, bath stuff, it’s perfect! You got a scented candle, a cleansing buff, spearmint and green tea scented bath oil, promotes relaxation.
7. Sheldon: That presupposes Penny is tense.
8. Raj: She knows you. She’s tense. We all are. Buy a basket!
9. Howard: Excuse me, we’re ready.
10. Sheldon: No, we’re not. Let’s say for a moment that I accept the bath item gift hypothesis, I now lay the following conundrum at your feet, which size?
11. Howard: This one. Let’s go.
12. Sheldon: You put no thought into that.
13. Howard: I’m sorry. Uh, this one. Let’s go!
14. Sheldon: I have insufficient data to proceed. Excuse me, miss?
15. Assistant: Yes?
16. Sheldon: If I were to give you this gift basket, based on that action alone and no other data, infer and describe the hypothetical relationship that exists between us.
17. Assistant: Excuse me?
18. Sheldon: Here. Now, are we friends? Colleagues? Lovers? Are you my grandmother?
19. Assistant: I don’t understand what you’re talking about and you’re making me a little uncomfortable.
20. Howard: See? Sounds just like you and Penny. We’ll take it.