ESL Topic: Shopping
File Title: Sheldon Buys a Gift Basket
Prepared by: SSEcoach (Robbie) File Code: V8.2
Topic Speaking: Shopping
1. Where is the best place to shop in your country?
2. Have you ever shopped in another country?
3. Have you ever been to a night market?
4. Have you ever worked in a shop or store?
5. Do you prefer to shop online or at a brick&mortar store?
6. Have you ever bought fake (counterfeit) products?
7. Do you enjoy shopping for other people?
8. How often do you go shopping?
9. What are the pros/cons of shopping at a traditional market and a modern market?
10. What are the differences between shop worker etiquette in your country compared to other countries?
Title: Sheldon Buys a Gift Basket
1. Sheldon: Did you forget your key? I don’t see anything in here a woman would want.
2. Howard: You’re kidding. You’ve got lotions and bath oils and soaps, that’s the estrogen hat trick.
3. Sheldon: What it is, is a cacophonous assault of eucalyptus, bayberry, cinnamon and vanilla. It’s as if my head were trapped in the pajamas of a sultan.
4. Raj: Sheldon, if you don’t like this stuff, let’s just go next door and build her a bear.
5. Sheldon: I told you before, bears are terrifying.
6. Howard: Come on, bath stuff, it’s perfect! You got a scented candle, a cleansing buff, spearmint and green tea scented bath oil, promotes relaxation.
7. Sheldon: That presupposes Penny is tense.
8. Raj: She knows you. She’s tense. We all are. Buy a basket!
9. Howard: Excuse me, we’re ready.
10. Sheldon: No, we’re not. Let’s say for a moment that I accept the bath item gift hypothesis, I now lay the following conundrum at your feet, which size?
11. Howard: This one. Let’s go.
12. Sheldon: You put no thought into that.
13. Howard: I’m sorry. Uh, this one. Let’s go!
14. Sheldon: I have insufficient data to proceed. Excuse me, miss?
15. Assistant: Yes?
16. Sheldon: If I were to give you this gift basket, based on that action alone and no other data, infer and describe the hypothetical relationship that exists between us.
17. Assistant: Excuse me?
18. Sheldon: Here. Now, are we friends? Colleagues? Lovers? Are you my grandmother?
19. Assistant: I don’t understand what you’re talking about and you’re making me a little uncomfortable.
20. Howard: See? Sounds just like you and Penny. We’ll take it.